A Kohler sink faucet cartridge is a device that is used to control the flow of water through a faucet. It is typically located inside the faucet body and consists of a valve and a series of seals and springs. The cartridge is responsible for regulating the amount of water that is allowed to pass through the faucet and for controlling the temperature of the water by mixing hot and cold water together.
Faucet cartridges are commonly found in kitchen and bathroom faucets and are designed to be easily replaceable when worn out or damaged. They are an important part of the faucet and play a critical role in its overall performance and function.
Type of Kohler kitchen sink faucet cartridges:
There are several different types of Kohler faucet cartridges available, including ceramic cartridges, ball cartridges, and cartridge faucets. Some cartridges may be more durable or easier to maintain than others, so it is important to consider these factors when choosing a faucet for your home.
Ceramic cartridges: These cartridges are made from a ceramic material and are known for their durability and longevity. They are resistant to wear and tear and can last for many years before needing to be replaced.
Ball cartridges: These cartridges use a ball-shaped valve to control the flow of water through the faucet. They are commonly found in single-handle faucets and are known for their ease of use and smooth operation.
Cartridge faucets: These faucets are designed with a cartridge that is built into the faucet body rather than being a separate component that can be replaced. Cartridge faucets are known for their simplicity and ease of maintenance.
Disc cartridges: These cartridges use a pair of discs to control the flow of water through the faucet. They are known for their smooth operation and are commonly found in high-end faucets.
Compression cartridges: These cartridges use a system of seals and springs to control the flow of water through the faucet. They are found in older faucets and are less common in newer models.
When should you replace Kohler\’s kitchen sink faucet cartridge?
- Worn seals: Over time, the seals inside the cartridge may become worn or damaged, leading to leaks or reduced water flow.
- Mineral buildup: Hard water can leave deposits on the cartridge, which can reduce the flow of water or cause the faucet to become clogged. Debris or foreign objects can sometimes get stuck inside the cartridge, blocking the flow of water or causing the faucet to malfunction.
- Corrosion: If the cartridge is exposed to harsh chemicals or is not properly maintained, it can become corroded, leading to leaks or reduced water flow.
Replacing Kohler kitchen sink faucet cartridge
- Turn off the water supply to the faucet. This can typically be done by closing the shut-off valves under the sink or turning off the house\’s main water supply.
- Remove the handle of the faucet by loosening the set screw that holds it in place. This will typically require a small screwdriver or Allen wrench.
- Once the handle is removed, you should be able to see the cartridge inside the faucet. Use a pair of pliers to remove the cartridge from the faucet body gently.
- Take the old cartridge with you to the store to ensure that you get a replacement that is the correct size and style for your faucet.
- Once you have the new cartridge, insert it into the faucet body in the same position as the old one. Make sure it is seated properly and that it is not crooked or twisted.
- Reattach the handle to the faucet, making sure to tighten the screw securely.
- Turn the water supply back on and test the faucet to make sure it is working properly. If you notice any leaks or other issues, you may need to tighten the connections or make other adjustments.